Monday, October 31, 2011

It's Halloween

The Old Baguette is not sick of words, words, words.  Not at all.  As she slips into one of the 100+ forms of dementia that aging minds are heir to,  she makes slips.  Not the kind with lace on the bodice that are boxed in crisp, white tissue paper, but the kind the venerable Sigmund made famous.  Freudian slips.  Where do they come from?  What do they mean?

Today, the Old Baguette and a friend drove by a cemetery, an old and venerable cemetery.  The Old Baguette said, "Oh, look at the seminary!"   Now, that's a slip to pique the venerable Sigmund's interest.  After a sufficient period of analysis, Sigmund might say the Old Baguette has confused the words "cemetery" and "seminary."  But why?  Because they're both scary!

Then there are the venerable British Prime Ministers, Israeli and Sadstone.  Surely you've heard of them.

Happy Halloween!

5 comments:

  1. When I was a teenager, I was watching a monster movie at my friends house, who in the future became my brother in law. There was about eight teenagers including his daughters watching this movie. A giant octopus begins wreaking havoc, and my future father in law starts yelling, "look at the size of those testicles!" Well he brought the house down. He was also known to call scheffleras, syphlus plants. At times I was suspicious of his slip ups.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still remember one of my slips when I was a teen in Chicago. Four of us were driving on the outer drive by the lake. We didn't know each other at all. One of those first date disasters. There was dead silence in the car, a really uncomfortable silence. Minutes passed, and I decided to say something, anything. The sky over the lake was a brilliant red. Said I, "Red light at night, sailor's delight." The silence after that for some strange reason got worse. Perhaps I trained your father-in-law.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great one! Glad to see you can comment on your own blog. Advances in civilization!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh you guys crack me up at lunchtime! Testicles, ladies of the night, cemeteries, seminaries!!

    Having worked in the funeral industry I can tell you cemeteries aren't all that scary. In fact I find them to be rather peaceful and look forward to the day when I can lay at the one in our little town and just listen to the tooting of the train as it goes by.

    Now I'm not talking tomorrow mind you! But death and cemeteries aren't all that scary. And a seminary wouldn't be scary either if they allowed me to take a vow of silence but gave me a laptop and unlimited internet access!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh and Happy All Saints Day to a fellow Catholic girl! Tomorrow is El Dia de los Muertos!

    ReplyDelete